vrijdag 5 juli 2013

Spirituality and health



This is my last day at the World Health Organisation. All good things end. It was a very stimulating time for me and I am a bit sad it is over. Also because WHO receives much attention these days. Just look at the new book by Dan Brown “Inferno” and the latest film with Brad Pitt “World War Zombie”, where in both cases WHO must save the world from a terrible virus (Warning: World War Zombie is a terrible movie, where not even the zombies are acting well). So I am proud having been employed at WHO and to make a small contribution on how to deal with the ‘ageing virus’.

As I am in a bit melodramatic mood, it is a good moment to write about spirituality and healthy ageing. The more so as this week one of the world’s religious leaders, mr Sri Sri Ravi Shankar visited Unaids and we were all invited to attend a session with him. Now I am a little bit suspicious of Indian Gurus as it is often about power, women and so called miracles (the Sai Babas of this world). But this guy (or his Holiness as he calls himself) is quite funny and sincere in his effort to make the world a better place.

The essence of his philosophy is that there is too much violence in the world and that it is caused, among other things, by stress. Caring and sharing are the first things that we forget when we get stressed. And that leads to violence. By means of ‘Art of living’ courses it is possible to learn ways how to cope with stress and how to keep your energy.

At this point there is an overlap with healthy ageing. Remember the FIELDS of ageing I wrote about earlier. Working on Food (healthy food), Intake (some additional minerals & vitamins), Exercise (a lot), Liquids (water), Drugs (avoid medicines where possible) and Stress (enough sleep) can increase your life expectancy. Sri’s list for energy contains many similar items of items that can contribute to a healthy lifestyle. His sources of energy are food, sleep, breath, happy mind and time for yourself with nature.

I can agree with these simple but important messages. It is a bit a pity that he uses the same methods as the traditional guru: a wild black beard, a long dress, mysterious laughing and red velvet chairs. At the end of the session, we even had to do some exercises (but with some humor: feel how many knots you have, you are very naughty). His lessons are that we should pray, meditate, do some exercises and above all take care of our breathing.

When we walked out, a colleague asked me how I liked it. I had to admit that I never pray, never meditate, never take any breathing exercises and that my only spiritual encounters are with wine and whisky. But we agreed that there was much common sense in his words and I will think about how I can include more moments of peace in my own life.

So where is the usual link with the weekly film? Well, I saw La grande Bellezza (the great Beauty) from Paolo Sorrentino. A beautiful Italian film in the style of Fellini about Jep, a 65 year old author not being able to write anymore after he indulges in ‘Bunga Bunga’ like parties in Rome. But when he learns about the death of his first and biggest love something changes.  He feels love again, and perhaps even has the power to start writing again, just when he feels the shadow of death fall across him. Just in time, he may have found the sources of energy again.

This summer, I will also try to regain some energy. Hence, it will be my last blog. I may continue writing, but I will open another blog for that.  Just follow or friend me on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn if you want to read more.

And to end with a saying by Sri: Walk lightly on this planet and yet leave such a footprint that cannot be erased for thousands of years! I hope by blogs were light enough and still readable in 3013. Have a nice summer holiday.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten